Tuesday, October 30, 2012

sugar skull makeup

Hey everyone! So on Saturday I was superrrrr ambitious and did sugar skull looks for all of us to go to a Halloween party. I did 4 sugar skull looks (including myself) and it took me roughly 10 hrs. I started applying the makeup at 11:30 am and finished everything at about 9pm.

IT WAS INSANE.

I had a set time schedule for everyone so I could have enough time to complete each look. The schedule was as follows:


  • Deej: 10:30am - 1pm
  • Joe: 1pm - 3:30pm
  • Myself: 3:30pm - 6pm
  • Chris: 6pm - 8:30pm
That schedule gave me 2 1/2 hours per face so I could take my time but we all know nothing goes as planned.

First let me explain to you what I call "DJ Time". When you're running on DJ Time it pretty much means you're running late. The title came about when I started hanging out with Deej and he could never be on time for anything! It wasn't on purpose, I believe he said it was because he procrastinates easily. I would invite him over to hang out at 1pm and he might show up around 3-4pm, haha. Lately, he's been on his game and I haven't used the phrase much anymore but let me get on with the story...

If ever there was an awful day for DJ Time, this was it. And sure enough, Deej sleeps in. Hahahaha. Now I can't blame him because it was his day off and he works a bunch of hours, and granted I didn't specify a specific time until the last minute, but I DID say in the morning.

So I'm texting him from about 9:30am until 11am and I get a text around 11:30am from Deej saying he just woke up and had something to do quickly. What happens next? Joe swoops in like a champ and decides to go first. I didn't put Joe first on the schedule because he works every Saturday until 10am and I was going to let him take a nap when he got home. So sacrificing his sleep, Joe saved the day!

Deej showed up a little after 1pm but all went well :)

Now that I'm done boring you, I'll get on with the pictures!

WARNING: There will be beardless men in these photos.



First I covered the brows using the glue stick method. I then used Ben Nye's Clown White to cover the entire top half of the face. Next, using a light colored eye pencil, I outlined the shape I wanted for the eyes.


Now I took a cream base and filled in the entire area of the eye. This helps the eyeshadow I'll be using to last longer and stick to the skin. When using the glue stick method, the brows harden and are a little tough to work with so that's why some white is still showing through.

(He's so handsome!)

Now apply the color of choice all over the eye area. 


To make the eyes get a more hallowed effect I added black eyeshadow in the middle of the red and blended it out. After applying all the color to the eyes I finished adding the Clown White to the face and   set it with a white powder.


Next comes the dots around the eye and the nose. Since I had so many faces to decorate, I kept things simple and just did plain ol' black dots and a very simple nose design. You can do whatever you want though! Big petals, little petals, fancy nose design, whatever!


To tie everything together, I contoured the cheeks and did a grungy looking teeth set using black gel eyeliner. Joe didn't want any decorations but he looks mighty fetching either way right!?

(TA DAAAAA!)

Here's a bonus picture of Deej:

(He has some serious eyebrows!)

That's everything. I basically just repeated the steps until my fingers fell off but it was all so worth it.


I think we looked awesome. We all had the same basic makeup layout but different color schemes and designs. On our way to the party we stopped at 7/11 and some guy asked if he could have a picture with all of us. He had his daughter with him and she was so distracted by our faces that she didn't look at the camera, haha. 

Anywho, here's some more photos:

(My fellas. Deej is pinching Chris' nipple, haha.)

(My two favorite guys!)

(Even skeletons can love. Open your eyes Joe!)

(At the party. We pretty much had the best costumes there.)

And that's everything. I hope you enjoyed this post. Comment below and tell me what you think. And remember, if you haven't already liked my Facebook page, please do!


What are your Halloween costume ideas? Let me know!




Ciao!



Products used:

  • Ben Nye "Clown White"
  • Ben Nye "Super White" face powder
  • Sugarpill Cosmetics pressed eyeshadow "Love +"
  • Sugarpill Cosmetics pressed eyeshadow "Midori"
  • Sugarpill Cosmetics pressed eyeshadow "2am"
  • Sugarpill Cosmetics pressed eyeshadow "Velocity"
  • Maybelline eye studio gel liner "Blackest Black"
  • Urban Decay 24/7 glide on eye pencil "Perversion"
  • L'oreal infallible eyeshadow "Eternal Black"
  • Maybelline color tattoo eyeshadow "Tough As Taupe"
  • Avon glimmersticks brow definer "Dark Brown"

No comments:

Post a Comment